Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Card From a Student

One of the perks of being a teacher is end-of-year gifts. It doesn't happen at every school, but it happens at mine, and it gets real. For a small example, I think I have $85 in Barnes & Nobles gift cards waiting to be tapped thanks to my students and their parents.

But as an 8th grade teacher, I also get out-of-this-world goodbye cards from graduates. I got one this year which is absolutely fantastic:

"Dear Mr. Riggs

     I still remember the very first class I had with you and how you showed us a power point on your adventurous past. Honestly, at that time, I really didn't know what to think of you. I didn't know if you would be a really cool teacher or a teacher that just cared about teaching. Throughout the last two years though, I've come to a conclusion: You are an amazingly cool teacher and you absolutely love teaching. I can see that you just get so excited when you teach students. I see it in your face. You like look down and then you gradually flex your nostrils so they become bigger, and trust me I will always remember that look.

     [The student then goes on to talk about how I helped develop them into a 'mature and romantic writer.']

     By the way I think you have really good taste in music.

     Thank you,

     No Name Sue"

No comments:

Post a Comment